Sunday, November 25, 2007

Quotes

Quotes

By Marilyn Monroe

"I am not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful."

"No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they are pretty, even if they aren't."

"The body is meant to be seen, not all covered up."

"I've been on a calendar, but never on time."

"I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy."

"An actress is not a machine, but they treat you like a machine. A money machine."

"Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered."

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."

"Say good-bye to Pat, say good-bye to Jack and say good-bye to yourself, because you're a nice guy."

"I'm going to be a great movie star some day."

"I used to think as I looked out on the Hollywood night, 'There must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me, dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest.'"

"I learned to walk as a baby and I haven't had a lesson since."

"There was my name up in lights. I said, 'God, somebody's made a mistake.' But there it was, in lights. And I sat there and said, 'Remember, you're not a star.' Yet there it was up in lights."

"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."

"That's the trouble, a sex symbol becomes a thing. But if I'm going to be a symbol of something, I'd rather have it sex than some other things we've got symbols of."

"Sex is part of nature. I go along with nature."

"He [Arthur Miller] wouldn't have married me if I had been nothing but a dumb blonde."

"I don't want to play sex roles any more. I'm tired of being known as the girl with the shape."

"I am invariably late for appointments--sometimes as much as two hours. I've tried to change my ways but the things that make me late are too strong, and too pleasing."

"[Hollywood is] a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

"I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one."

"Everybody is always tugging at you. They'd all like a sort of chunk out of you. I don' think they realize it, but it's like 'grrr do this, grr do that...' But you do want to stay intact--intact and on two feet."

"It stirs up envy, fame does. People...feel fame gives them some kind of privilege to walk up to you and say anything to you--and it won't hurt your feelings--like it's happening to your clothing."

"She [Sadie Thompson] was a girl who knew how to be gay even when she was sad. And that's important--you know?"

"I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made."

"Fame is fickle and I know it. It has its compensations, but it also has its drawbacks and I've experienced them both."

"With fame, you know, you can read about yourself, somebody else's ideas about you, but what's important is how you feel about yourself--for survival and living day to day with what comes up."

"I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else."

"Only the public can make a star. It's the studios who try to make a system out of it."

"It's all make believe, isn't it?"

No comments: